This season we’ve started some new creative initiatives at the Playhouse. We’ve celebrated some wonderful successes recently, but we don’t want to rest on our laurels. Instead we’re finding new challenges and offering new opportunities. Introducing the first of these initiatives, Saturday Shorts.
In the spirit of the old newsreels, or the more modern animated shorts you often see before feature films, we’re bringing you theatrical shorts. These tiny shows are a fun way to bring new voices to our stage: new directors, new actors, and new playwrights. Saturday Shorts are special features that will be presented on occasion at the start of Saturday matinees. Last month was the first of these shorts: “X Why Z,” a one-minute play by Brandon M. Crose, presented by the UWM at Washington County Drama Club, starring Nina Pheng and Jonah Wagner and directed by Julia Lee. It was a wonderful success and a lot of fun.
We welcome submissions of original one-minute plays by Wisconsin playwrights, so if there’s a writer in your life, be sure to let them know.
- We’re looking for plays we think our audience will enjoy and that will complement the plays they are chosen to precede. The majority of our shows are comedies.
- Because your play immediately precedes a full-length play and will be performed on the same stage, your one-minute play must require no set, simple props and costumes, and a max of 3 actors. No musicals. We recommend that your play include no tech requirements or effects besides simple lighting and simple amplification.
- Length is approximately 1- to 2-minutes, with scripts not to exceed 3 pages (12-point font or larger.) It is recommended, but not required, to follow formatting guidelines of the Dramatists Guild of America.
- Submit two pdf copies of the play – one with contact info on a cover sheet, including full name, address, phone number or email address, as well as the title of the play, and the other a blind copy with the title of the work but no identifying info about the playwright.
- Email scripts to email@example.com. Works will not be returned.
- Max 3 submissions per playwright per calendar year.
- We’re accepting and considering submissions on a rolling basis. The number of plays accepted each season will range from approximately 5-14. The season runs from September through May. If accepted, your play will receive a minimum of one performance, and a maximum of 3 performances.
- The playwright’s name will be listed on all publicity, programs, and advertising for the play.
- We will notify you when we receive your script, and again if it has been eliminated from consideration, if it is short-listed, and if it is selected for a performance.
Thank you for considering Kettle Moraine Playhouse for your one-minute play submission. We are very excited about our Saturday Shorts productions.